Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Rinse And Repeat

Here's a background scene that I've been able to re-employ for a number of different visual assist projects that were NOT related to its originally intended purpose. It may be bland and 'uneventful' but it gets the message across to the viewer - we see a quiet, normal neighborhood. This is obviously not a Greyhound Bus station.

The drawing may have had its first life as a backdrop to a simple gag about receiving unexpected bills in the mail, but it has since gone on to be used for CD lyrics (plenty of open sky for clear verse reading) a party invitation card, a notice sheet for my strata council, and the cover of a comic book; allowing large graphics to be placed across the sky.

I've also been able to re-use selected PORTIONS of this arched street scene to eliminate the chore of starting from scratch to create SIMILAR street scenes for new cartoons dealing with the same topics. "Why bother churning out more of the same thing" I recall myself saying to myself. Also; simply reversing the image (for yet another project) helped deliver a fresh look at what was slowly becoming for me, a very tired, familiar looking image. But again - that saved me oodles of 'prep' time.

I have no doubt that another job will arise in the near future where this backdrop will once again present itself as the best choice for a quick setting - saving me time, energy and paint - and so, until I completely tire of seeing the same painful reaction from the poor homeowner standing out on the sidewalk frozen in shock, I'll continue to abuse him in this manner. That's just life in the cartoon world. Not to worry, he feels no real pain.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...