Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cutting Costs

This short video segment below should have been incorporated into the blog entry of last week when we were discussing the famous Elco Road Trip of 1984. Exactly 25 years separate the footage captured here of the hotel we booked that summer - and the image of the same hotel as it appeared when I passed thru Duncan last August on my way east to the sprawling town of Youbou. (Youbou town center pictured here.)

It's seems clear in the photo above, that most of the Village Green hotel groundskeeping staff have been let go over the years in an attempt to cut costs. And as far as I could see, there was no sign of Iris sunning herself on any reclining chairs outside our old suite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No hand can make the clock strike for me the hours that are passed.

Doug said...

The Village Green is no more...torn down to make way for a London Drugs shopping complex, The White Spot is still there though..and what the heck were you doing in Youbo?
Doug

Midhrifs said...

I stopped in for lunch at that Duncan White Spot on the same day that I took this picture of the hotel. The waitress told me it was being demolished that very weekend; and also mentioned the London Drugs plan.

I was off to Youbou to see the house my Uncle had been building on his own there during the past 10 years. He'd almost finished everything when he died suddenly at age 81.

So. How's that narration for 'I Love To Walk' coming along? Gonna be ready for its 35th anniversary screening next year?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...