Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Clunky Slice Of Life

When Jon and I made our limited venture into the world of video tape communication across the Atlantic back in the early 80s (as a change of pace from our audio tape communication) this little effort below was my opening statement on my initial VHS tape to him.

I remember how frustrating it was trying to match the visual images I was shooting - with the soundtrack lyrics of the song being played on a cassette deck sitting next to me. If the lyrics called for some 'old folks putting their ears to the ground' - then I'd have to go out and dig up the goods.

The thought of using a computer to digitally edit movie footage in the comfort of our homes never really entered our pea-brains back in the prehistoric year of 1983. We were reasonably happy with the bulkiness of the VHS world and if things hadn't progressed, we'd probably still be using it.

Well no, I take that back. It was never truly satisfying, even from the very beginning. Much too awkward a setup. Gave me a headache. Short shelf life. I much prefer the modern tools of the new millennium. And while I've used modern tools to tweak this original presentation a bit, it remains what it originally was - a clunky slice of my life in Vancouver/mid 80s. As it was intended to be on the day I sent it over to Jonny 26 years ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that I never got to ride in your cool TR6?

Midhrifs said...

Not even once? I'm surprised. You were certainly in the old DUDGE plenty enough.

You even drove the Dudge a few times as I recall.

Dudge years: 1972-1982.
TR6 years: 1982-1988.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...